FAMILIES IN TRANSITION
Grand Island Public Schools’ Families in Transition (FIT) outreach team aims to promote the scholastic success of students in transitional living situations. Students that are considered ‘in transition’ are those of families living with other families, in shelters, motels, or living in the streets. Assuring these students are provided basic home and school resources is critical given that currently, Hall County, Grand Island, Nebraska has one of the highest poverty and transient rates in the entire state. Specifically speaking, 42.2% of the county’s families with children do not own their home and 45.4% of children belong in low-income families, according to Voices for Children data.
Families in Transition (FIT) is a program within the outreach center housed on the first floor of the Kneale Administration Building; 123 S Webb Rd, Grand Island, NE 68803.
SERVICES WE PROVIDE:
- Food for Thought
- Every Friday qualifying students are provided a bag of food to supplement meals over the weekend
- Action Cab taxi vouchers
- Transportation aid for students to and from school
- School supplies and hygiene products
- Backpacks, pencils, pens, folders, notebooks, crayons, scissors, glue, etc.
- Shampoo, conditioner, soap, deodorant, toothbrushes, toothpaste, feminine products, etc.
- Clothing and shoes for both adults and children (supply may vary)
- Archipelago is a food pantry, clothing, hygiene products, and washer/dryer station for students at Grand Island Senior High
- Monday through Friday
- 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
We welcome home goods and non-perishable food donations!
For Families in Transition inquiries please contact:
Families in Transition Coordinator
123 S Webb Rd, Grand Island, NE 68803
308-385-5900 Ext. 1204
For Archipelago inquiries please contact:
Community Liaison for Secondary Education
Grand Island Senior High, Room 108
2124 N Lafayette Avenue, Grand Island, NE 68803
Toys for Tots Application: If you are a family who is in need of help with Christmas this year, click the below link to sign up for this program through United Way.
Adopt A Family: If you or a family you know needs a little extra help this holiday season, sign up at United Way.