Night Owl provides GISH students with an opportunity to earn credits in a non-traditional program. Night Owl is staffed by GISH educators from 4pm to 6:30pm Monday through Thursday. Students have an individualized schedule to meet their personal and social emotional needs. Night Owl staff can accommodate 15 to 20 students based on educational and social emotional needs of the students enrolled. Students remain a GISH student with an alternative schedule.
Referrals are made at weekly meetings via an electronic referral form. Priority will be given to seniors who are credit deficient (one or two semesters) compared to their cohort group or at risk of dropping out due to being credit deficient. This program is meant for seniors and juniors but can be considered for Sophomores and Freshmen with extenuating circumstances. Students referred must have documentation of problem solving to meet personal and social emotional needs. If a student is on an IEP, the IEP team must meet to make the referral recommendation before a student can be accepted into Night Owl. Students will receive a diploma from GIPS and may participate in GISH graduation. Students can earn credits to graduate early. Individual plans will be created to ensure college and career ready students.
Attendance is mandatory (unless extenuating circumstances exist)
Number of Students:
- Maximum 20 students enrolled at any given point
- 3 teachers scheduled per night (at least 1 bi-lingual teacher, at least 1 SE teacher)
Other Staff Needed:
- 1 admin/coordinator(Coordinators average 3 days/week if not, more)
Type of Schedule:
- 2 hours
- GISH Schedule determined by the intake interview
- Keep Academy seat
Types of Instruction:
- Edmentum - identified as Night Owl
Unique Selection Criteria for Students:
- Seniors and/or Juniors who are credit deficient (one or two semesters)
- Sophomores and Freshmen with extenuating circumstances (ex: EL student, . . )
- Income provider for the family
- Parenting/Care Provider
- Students remain a GISH student with an alternative schedule.
- Students will receive a diploma from GIPS and may participate in GISH graduation.
- Weekly updates at Friday morning meetings with high school staff
- Transition meetings for students adding dual enrollment AND/OR being considered for transition back to home school must occur 4 weeks in advance with home school counselor/administrator
- Night Owl is housed at GISH