Educator career opportunities: Your career begins here!
If you are interested in joining a school system that actively helps you pursue your passion as an educator, we encourage you to consider Grand Island Public Schools in Grand Island, Nebraska!
We are committed to providing all children with the very best K-12 public education. Our commitment to excellence is summed up in our motto: "Every Student, Every Day, a Success."
We believe qualified, dedicated educators are the key to this success. As you'll discover by exploring this website, we offer an array of opportunities to help you reach your greatest potential. Plus, you'll find that Grand Island is a wonderful place to live and raise a family!
A message from Wayne Stelk, Human Resources Director of Grand Island Public Schools:
“There’s no doubt certified, enthusiastic educators are vital to the quality of our curriculum and instruction, and have a direct impact on the lives of our students. Without dedicated teachers, the children of our community would not receive the excellent educational opportunities for which the Grand Island Public Schools are recognized.”
GIPS Mission Statement
The Grand Island Public Schools' mission statement sums up our system-wide commitment to helping students succeed:
"Within the Grand Island Public Schools,
- every student will be taught to read, write and communicate effectively; solve problems; acquire and apply knowledge; and demonstrate mastery through performance to the best of the student's abilities:
- every student will be treated with fairness and dignity;
- every student will experience a sense of belonging, contribution and success; and
- every student will develop responsibility and show respect for others, as well as oneself.
In educating students, we teach hearts, as well as minds."
If you share the values expressed in our mission statement, we are confident you will discover a rewarding career as an educator with GIPS.
As a teacher in the Grand Island Public Schools system, you will be given many opportunities to achieve professional and personal success. We believe educators should be life-long learners. To that end, GIPS offers many programs to help you futher your credentials.
New teachers are offered:
- Two-year mentoring program to those who join the district with less than three years of prior teaching experience
- Instructional coaches in the areas of math, language arts and science
- Summer professional development activities that acquaint new teachers with GIPS programs and procedures
Professional Development Programs:
If your goal is to meet your full potential as an educator, Grand Island Public Schools offers the opportunities you need:
- Outstanding Professional Development, tailored to meet your assignment, including such nationally known education experts as Rick Stiggins, Allison Zamuda, Jay McTighe, Ken O'Connor and Vicki Spandell
- Regular review and revision of curricula, accompanied by teacher training and implementation support
- Access to graduate level degree programs in Grand Island through College Park
With our competitive pay, modern classrooms, and a supportive attitude, the Grand Island Public Schools provides an excellent environment to help you develop your career in education.
Teacher-friendly Learning Environments
- Spacious classrooms designed with 1,000 square feet of space and year-round air conditioning
- Elementary classrooms with an average student to teacher ratio of 20:1
- Secondary classrooms with an average student to teacher ratio of 20-25:1
Competitive Compensation Programs
- $2000 Retention Bonus paid upon completion of three-year probationary period
- Credit for professional training beyond a bachelor's degree. Hours applying toward horizontal advancement on the salary schedule must be obtained from an accredited institution of higher education and either be hours obtained in graduate level courses which are in the teacher's assigned area of instruction or be approved in advance and in writing by the superintendent or administrative designee.
- Credit for experience. Newly hired non-administrative certificated staff shall be granted credit for up to eight (8) years experience received in previous districts subject to limitations of allowable steps on the Grand Island Public Schools' salary schedule. This credit shall be applied to purposes of longevity and salary schedule placement.
The Grand Island Public Schools offers a competitive benefits package. The following are a few of the highlights:
- Our IRS Flex Plan gives you the opportunity to set aside tax-free dollars to pay for any out-of-pocket medical expenses and babysitting expenses.
- The district pays 100% of an Employee Blue Cross and Blue Shield health and dental insurance plan. Spouse and dependent coverage is also available.
- District employees who work 20 or more hours per week automatically participate in the Public Retirement System of the State of Nebraska.
- Tax-sheltered annuities are available to all certificated employees with income deferred until a certain age (generally 65).
- All employees of GIPS are covered by a liability and indemnity insurance for any injury occurring during the course of employment and are entitled to the benefits provided by the Worker’s Compensation Law.
- Long-term disability, or income protection insurance, is mandatory for certified staff who work a minimum of four (4) hours per day.
- Sick leave consists of ten (10) full days of paid leave for each contract year for injury or illness for full-time faculty. Unused sick leave may cumulate to a total of 90 days maximum.
- Three personal leave days (2) with full pay and one sub deduct per contract year are given to certified staff members.
- Vision and Life Insurance is available at low group rates.
With a growing population of over 50,000, Grand Island offers the advantages of a larger city while retaining the desired qualities of a small family-friendly community.
Ready access to:
- Excellent health care, retail and entertainment
- Local entertainment opportunities include Island Oasis Water Park, Fonner Park, Heartland Events Center, Stuhr Museum, 10 movie screens, fast and slow pitch softball, volleyball, bowling and multiple restaurant and shopping venues
- Young Professionals Organization, sponsored by the Chamber of Commerce, offering professionals in the community social and professional networking opportunities
- Outdoor sports with hunting, fishing, swimming and shooting parks in the immediate vicinity of Grand Island
- Hiking/biking trails throughout the community
In addition, Grand Island is located along I-80. The community is conveniently located between Omaha, NE (2 hours), Kansas City, MO (4 hours) and Denver, CO (5 hours).
Learn more about Grand Island and the community here.