Your Legacy.
Their Opportunity.

Enhancing opportunities by seeking and securing resources for projects, scholarships and programs.

Access digital copies of our district flyers.

Improving school-to-home communication by distribute school flyers directly to families digitally.

History and Future


After sharing our new building with Stolley Park for the 2017/18 and 2018/19 school years,  we say goodbye to those friends and welcome classes from the Early Learning Center.  Starr and Stolley Park Staff and students moved in to the new Starr Elementary building in August of 2017 at 1800 South Adams Street. This building features a middle-school size gymnasium, cafeteria/commons area, large nurse's office, dedicated music and sensory rooms, as well as counseling and intervention areas.  With a dedicated Innovation lab and collaboration center it is a jewel in the GIPS system. Many community partners are finding ways to enjoy this space with us.

                   

    The 1964-65 school year marked the beginning of E. F. Starr Elementary School. Five prefabricated buildings were placed on a site north of Stolley Park Road and west of Sylvan. It was originally named Wasmer Annex and enrolled 103 students. This site was soon selected as the location for the new Barr Junior High building, so in 1966 the modular buildings were moved to the present location on Wyandotte Street. Three more buildings were added to make a seven room school with office and media center.The newly created school was named for Elias F. Starr, a long time Barr Junior High principal. 

   In 1972, Starr Parent Teachers Association formally requested construction of permanent facilities because children in the area had been served by temporary classrooms for nine years. In 1973, the Board of Education authorized the new school to be built with funds from a special mill levy.

starr tornado 

    The five year-old Starr School, along with numerous homes and businesses was destroyed by a series of tornados which hit the city on the night of June 3, 1980. All salvageable equipment and materials from the school were stored. With the help of countless numbers of parents and teachers, temporary facilities were ready for the start of school in August. The reconstructed school was ready for occupancy in January, 1981, with an enrollment of 218. Enrollment has continued to climb, with the present enrollment being roughly 275.

In December 2002 a portable classroom was installed on the school grounds to accomodate Starr's increasing enrollment. A second modular classroom was added during the summer of 2008 to add 2 more classrooms.

   During the 2000-2002 school years the Starr PTA worked hard with the parents and students of our Starr school to update the original playground.   Over $40,000 was collected in money and donations to replace the weathered wooden structure with not one but two beautiful play structures.  Benches and trees were then added to complete the playground renovation.  This is now the campus for Grand Island Senior High's career pathway of Education, Law and Public Safety.  

starr playground                  

Special Thanks to these generous donors to our Playground fund:

The 1st Grade Graduating class of 2012      $100
Eric and Sylvia Jones in honor of Meagan and Jennifer Jones    $100
Anonymous    $500
The McPheeters Grandparents in honor of their grandchildren:
               Abigail, Gabriel, Benjamin and Sara Robbins      $100


  In December 2002 a portable classroom was installed on the school grounds to accomodate Starr's increasing enrollment. A second modular classroom was added during the summer of 2008 to add 2 more classrooms. 


 

Media Inquiries
Jack Sheard, Marketing & Communications
308-385-5900 Ext. 1127
Your Legacy.
Their Opportunity.

Enhancing opportunities by seeking and securing resources for projects, scholarships and programs.

Access digital copies of our district flyers.

Improving school-to-home communication by distribute school flyers directly to families digitally.

History and Future


After sharing our new building with Stolley Park for the 2017/18 and 2018/19 school years,  we say goodbye to those friends and welcome classes from the Early Learning Center.  Starr and Stolley Park Staff and students moved in to the new Starr Elementary building in August of 2017 at 1800 South Adams Street. This building features a middle-school size gymnasium, cafeteria/commons area, large nurse's office, dedicated music and sensory rooms, as well as counseling and intervention areas.  With a dedicated Innovation lab and collaboration center it is a jewel in the GIPS system. Many community partners are finding ways to enjoy this space with us.

                   

    The 1964-65 school year marked the beginning of E. F. Starr Elementary School. Five prefabricated buildings were placed on a site north of Stolley Park Road and west of Sylvan. It was originally named Wasmer Annex and enrolled 103 students. This site was soon selected as the location for the new Barr Junior High building, so in 1966 the modular buildings were moved to the present location on Wyandotte Street. Three more buildings were added to make a seven room school with office and media center.The newly created school was named for Elias F. Starr, a long time Barr Junior High principal. 

   In 1972, Starr Parent Teachers Association formally requested construction of permanent facilities because children in the area had been served by temporary classrooms for nine years. In 1973, the Board of Education authorized the new school to be built with funds from a special mill levy.

starr tornado 

    The five year-old Starr School, along with numerous homes and businesses was destroyed by a series of tornados which hit the city on the night of June 3, 1980. All salvageable equipment and materials from the school were stored. With the help of countless numbers of parents and teachers, temporary facilities were ready for the start of school in August. The reconstructed school was ready for occupancy in January, 1981, with an enrollment of 218. Enrollment has continued to climb, with the present enrollment being roughly 275.

In December 2002 a portable classroom was installed on the school grounds to accomodate Starr's increasing enrollment. A second modular classroom was added during the summer of 2008 to add 2 more classrooms.

   During the 2000-2002 school years the Starr PTA worked hard with the parents and students of our Starr school to update the original playground.   Over $40,000 was collected in money and donations to replace the weathered wooden structure with not one but two beautiful play structures.  Benches and trees were then added to complete the playground renovation.  This is now the campus for Grand Island Senior High's career pathway of Education, Law and Public Safety.  

starr playground                  

Special Thanks to these generous donors to our Playground fund:

The 1st Grade Graduating class of 2012      $100
Eric and Sylvia Jones in honor of Meagan and Jennifer Jones    $100
Anonymous    $500
The McPheeters Grandparents in honor of their grandchildren:
               Abigail, Gabriel, Benjamin and Sara Robbins      $100


  In December 2002 a portable classroom was installed on the school grounds to accomodate Starr's increasing enrollment. A second modular classroom was added during the summer of 2008 to add 2 more classrooms. 


 

Media Inquiries
Jack Sheard, Marketing & Communications
308-385-5900 Ext. 1127
CLOSE