History


The school was named for Dr. C. Ray Gates, Superintendent of Schools from 1922 until his death in September 1944.

1955

The building included only Grades K-4. It consisted of five classrooms, an office suite, and a multi-purpose room. The school was officially dedicated on November 8, 1955.

1957-1958

A two room addition was approved in April 1957. This addition was occupied in January 1958.

1961-1964

More land was purchased and three more classrooms were built.

1965-1966

Four more rooms were added, bringing the total number of classrooms to fourteen, from the original five in 1955.

1979-1982

Gates School was selected as the site for special education services. A gymnasium, office, media center, music room, standard classrooms, and special education classrooms were added and occupied in 1982. The school now had twenty classrooms and space for special services.

2005-2008

Gates added a third section of grades Kindergarten, First, Second and Third. A full time ELL specialist was added on staff in 2006. A part time social worker joined the staff that year as well. Gates was also selected as the site for the district's ELL Newcomers program in 2006.

2008-2014

Gates alternated between two and three sections of grade 4 and 5. A full time learning facilitator was added on staff in 2011. Gates was selected as the site the the district's Educational and Life Skills program in 2013.