There is something for everyone at GIPS.
Elementary school teachers are highly trained to teach an integrated language arts program, math, science, social studies, P.E., instructional technology and media, visual arts, vocal music, and instrumental music. School counselors and social workers are available at each school. After-school and summer school programs are available.
Opportunities for High Ability Learners include Destination Discovery, the Golden Sower program, science fair, numerous contests and competitions, and the Thinking Cap Quiz Bowl.
Visit individual elementary school pages to see what opportunities are available.
In addition to the instructional areas available in elementary schools, classes in Career and Technical Education, Family and Consumer Science and health education are available at the three middle schools. Numerous activities are available at each middle school, including competitive and intramural sports and clubs.
High Ability Learners in middle school can participate in content-specific seminars, Academic Quiz Bowl, Duke Talent Search, Geography Bee, the Golden Sower program, science fair, numerous contests and competitions, and the Thinking Cap Quiz Bowl.
Grand Island Senior High School offers a myriad of programs, facilities, and opportunities for students, including:
- The chance to earn college credits without leaving the high school campus
- An impressive list of activities in which students can participate, ranging from fine arts to foreign language clubs to clubs for academic areas
- A full array of Nebraska School Activities Association sports and activities
- One of two high school planetariums in the state
- Grand Island's largest auditorium and the Little Theater
- The Student Wellness Center, the only on-site school student wellness center in the state, which is operated by Saint Francis Medical Center
- Air Force Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps
- Outstanding strength training room, wrestling room, 2,900-seat gym and two other gyms and two-field soccer complex
- The Indra Transitional Learning Center
- Career Pathways Institute