Dodge Elementary School, Grand Island,
Sioux - Interesting Facts
- They skinned and tanned the buffalo
- The men chased the buffalo on horse
- When the men were on horse back, they shot
arrows from a bow at the buffalo.
- The women cut the meat up and dried the
- The Sioux were the most famous of all plains
- Their tepees and their blankets were all made
out of buffalo skin.
- They made star quilts, which were very
important to the Sioux Indians.
- The Sioux and the Cheyenne teamed up and beat
George A. Custer in the Battle of the Little Big Horn.
- The Sioux moved the Cheyenne from South Dakota
- The Sioux traveled because the Sioux were
nomads. Nomads mean that the Sioux did not stay in the same
- Frequent attacks by white soldiers and the
dwindling buffalo herds destroyed the way of life for many plains
Indian tribes. They grew poor and desperate and were no longer
able to live as their people had in the past.